Optimising Pack Design for Roast & Ground Coffee
- To redesign the pack to maximise standout on shelf whilst conveying brand ethics, strength and flavour cues.
- A shopping pre-task to determine current perceptions and behaviour followed by a series of qualitative Product LabsTM, which explored motivation for choice in the category and how these were being matched (or not) by the range.
- Creative tasks using images, shelf mock-ups and pack design challenges allowed respondents to elucidate their ideal design for the coffee packs and clarified the role of each piece of on-pack information in product selection.
- The Product LabsTM gave crystal clarity on 5 key areas that the pack design had to address, 3 of which were underperforming and a clear route forward. In addition, the research generated clear insight to the decision-making strategies consumers adopt at the coffee fixture.
- The packs for the range were redesigned and the brand successfully relaunched to great feedback from both the sales team and customers.